Transportation of accompanied animals
(A) According to the Legislation in force for pets or assistance dogs (Law 4039/2012 and Law 4235/2014 as well as the respective Ministerial Decisions) these animals (dogs, cats, birds etc. with the exception of reptiles) are accepted for transport in TRAINOSE’s trains and busses on condition that:
- Their transport is not opposed to the general Legislative Framework in force
- The animals have electronic marking and are accompanied by their owner
- The animals have an updated health booklet or passport
- The transported pets are placed in a pet transport box, independently of their size, with the exception of guide dogs, which are not placed in a pet transport box and are transported without a muzzle but with leash
(B) According to the existing legislation, transport of pets and guide dogs in TRAINOSE’s trains or buses is not subject to the judgment or consent of either the company’s personnel or of the passengers. Specific official regulations are followed and special seats are designated for animal transportation in trains and buses.
(C) Access of transported animals is not allowed in the train’s restaurant coaches. Only guide dogs are allowed in these coaches.
(D) The safekeeping of the transported animals is the responsibility of their owner. TRAINOSE has no liability for loss or whatever problem may be caused to the transported animals, unless this happens due the company’s responsibility. The owner is also liable for any damage caused by the transported animals to TRAINOSE’s rolling stock or to third parties, according to Article 924 of Greek Civil Code.
DISTINCTION BETWEEN LARGE / SMALL PETS AND GUIDE DOGS
According to the legislation in force, further distinction of transported animals is made as follows:
A. Large accompanied pets (more than 10 kg) are transported in a pet transport box of maximum dimensions 118 x 76 x 88cm, in long distance trains, in the composition of which a luggage transport coach is incorporated. The owner of the dog may have access in the coach, provided by the train manager. The luggage transport coach is naturally ventilated area but not air – conditioned.
These trains are:
- Athens-Thessaloniki : IC52, IC54, IC56, IC58, IC62
- Thessaloniki-Athens: IC53, IC55, IC57, IC59, IC63
- Athens – Kalambaka – Athens : 882 and 887
The maximum number of accompanied dogs is 2 per train. Large accompanied animals are not accepted in TRAINOSE’s buses.
B. Small accompanied pets (up to 10kg) are transported:
- In TRAINOSE’s trains, as it is mentioned below, if they are in a pet transport box of maximum dimensions 50 x 40 x 70cm and placed either on the lap of their owner or in the hand luggage area, provided that other passengers have no objection to that.If not, the train inspector ensures the transportation of the pet and its owner, either in the designated seats –provided they exist in the train – or in the luggage compartment with the owner’s consent.
- In TRAINOSE buses only if they are in a pet transport box or any other suitable packing of maximum dimensions 50 x 40 x 35cm, in specially designated seats by TRAINOSE. The maximum number of small dogs to be transferred in each bus is 3.
The transport of small pets is possible on the following itineraries as follows:
- Athens-Thessaloniki: In all trains
- Athens-Chalkida: In all trains
- Piraeus –International Airport «Elefterios Venizelos» – Kiato – Aigio: In all trains
- Palaeofarsalos – Kalambaka: In all trains
- From 23.06.2021:Larisa-Thessaloniki: In the trains 1590, 2592, 2596, 1599, 2597, 2599, in a special designated coach of the train provided that there is enough capacity of the specific itinerary.
- Suburban route of the city of Patras: In all trains
- Larisa- Volos: In all trains
- Thessaloniki-Platy-Florina: In trains 710 and 715
- Thessaloniki-Serres-Drama: In all trains
- Alexandroupoli – Ormenio: In all trains
- Athens-Lianokladi: In all trains
- Lianokladi – Stylida: In all trains
- Katakolo-Pyrgos-Olympia: In all trains
- Pelion train : Up to 2 pets is possible to be transferred, either with leash and muzzle (large dogs) or placed in a pet box(small animals). The animals are placed in a specific area of the train
- Rack Railway (Kalavryta – Diakopto): Up to 2 small pets per train is possible to be transferred, placed in a pet box of maximum dimensions 50X40X35 cm
C. Assistance dogs (trained or in training) for Person with mobility:
Transport of large assistance dogs in the train’s compartments specially designated for this purpose by TRAINOSE on condition that:
- the guide dog is transported without a muzzle, on a leash and must be seated next to their owner on the coaches’ floor
- the guide dogs are not placed in a pet transport box and their transport of the PRM and the dog is also possible in the special seats for PRM in certain trains
- guide dogs (trained or in training) have an access in the restaurant coaches of TRAINOSE’s trains
Assistance dogs (trained or in training as presented by the existing legislation)
The owner of the guide dog, or the trainer or the volunteer responsible of an assistance dog puppy must present when asked by the personnel of TRAINOSE the documents prescribed by the law, certifying the training level of the dog (if it is already trained or in training), the dog’s health and also that the owner or the trainer or the volunteer responsible of an assistance dog puppy is certified to have this dog.
If the owner or the trainer of the assistance dog is staying in Greece for a long period of time and is a EU citizen or a citizen of third country, the above mentioned documents must be either in English language officially translated in Greek language by the responsible Greek authorities abroad (Embassies etc).
The same provisions regarding the respect of the other passengers as well as the railway’s rolling stock apply for the guide dog owners, the trainers and the volunteers responsible of an assistance dog-puppy.
Transport of assistance dogs in training is possible in the coach’s compartments either in the seats designated by TRAINOSE or in any other seat or coach chosen by the owner, the trainer or the volunteer.
- In case of missed connections to local trains passengers traveling with pets are transported with the next possible train.
- For the transport of small pets (up to 10kg), under the above mentioned terms, no fare is charged and no transport document is issued, unless a separate seat is required for the pet in the pet transport box. In this case, the charged fare is equal to the 50% of the full price of a 2nd class ticket for the route chosen by the owner.
- For the transport of large pets (over 10kg), under the above mentioned terms, the charged fare is equal to the 50% of the full price of a 2nd class ticket, for the route chosen by the owner, and a separate travel document is issued.
- For guide dogs, trained or in training, no fare is charged.
- Tickets for the passenger and the accompanied pet are issued only at TRAINOSE sales spots.
- Accompanied pet service is not possible from non operating train stations. Exception is made only if the ticket has already been issued from a station in operation.
Attached Files: Sample of pets’ health booklet.