«Larissa Station», or Athens Railway Station
Known as the «Larissa Station», the Athens Railway Station is the main railway station of the Greek capital and supports long-distance travel to Larisa, Thessaloniki, Alexandroupoli and other destinations in the Greek mainland. It was inaugurated in 1904, near the earlier «Peloponnese Station», and was named after the area it mainly serviced. At that time, Thessaloniki was still part of the Ottoman Empire, thus Larisa was the most important city close to the northern end of the railroad network. Actually, the settlement Papapouli, close to the Greek-Turkish border, was the northernmost part of the line.
The station features one side- and one central platform, as well as train deposition lines. Originally, the architectural layout was dominated by the central two-storeyed building, which stood out between two single-storeyed wings. The facade was typically neoclassical, with pediments, pillars and horizontal bands, while all metal parts of the building were eclectic in style. Modifications throughout the 20th century hid some of the building’s morphological elements and changed its image. Nevertheless, despite the differentiation from its original design, Athens’ central station remains functional, indispensable for travel, as well as a crucial part of Greece’s historical and socio-economic life.