Transportation of accompanied animals
(A) According to the Legislation in force for pets or assistance dogs (Law 4039/2012 and Law 4235/2014 as well as the respective Ministerial Decisions) these animals (dogs, cats, birds etc. with the exception of reptiles) are accepted for transport in TRAINOSE’s trains and busses on condition that:
- Their transport is not opposed to the general Legislative Framework in force
- The animals have electronic marking and are accompanied by their owner
- The animals have an updated health booklet
- The transported pets are placed in a pet transport box, independently of their size, with the exception of guide dogs, which are not placed in a pet transport box and are transported without a muzzle but with leash
(B) According to the existing legislation, transport of pets and guide dogs in TRAINOSE’s trains or buses is not subject to the judgment or consent of either the company’s personnel or of the passengers. Specific official regulations are followed and special seats are designated for animal transportation in trains and buses.
(C) Access of transported animals is not allowed in the train’s restaurant coaches. Only guide dogs are allowed in these coaches.
(D) The safekeeping of the transported animals is the responsibility of their owner. TRAINOSE has no liability for loss or whatever problem may be caused to the transported animals, unless this happens due the company’s responsibility. The owner is also liable for any damage caused by the transported animals to TRAINOSE’s rolling stock or to third parties, according to Article 924 of Greek Civil Code.
DISTINCTION BETWEEN LARGE / SMALL PETS AND GUIDE DOGS
According to the legislation in force, further distinction of transported animals is made as follows:
A. Small accompanied dogs (up to 10kg) or other small pets are transported:
- In all TRAINOSE’s trains if they are in a pet transport box with dimensions of 50 x 40 x 70cm and placed either on the lap of their owner or in the hand luggage area, provided that other passengers have no objection to that.If not, the train inspector ensures the transportation of the pet and its owner, either in the designated seats –provided they exist in the train – or in the luggage compartment with the owner’s consent.
- In TRAINOSE buses only if they are in a pet transport box or any other suitable packing with dimensions of 50 x 40 x 35cm, in specially designated seats by TRAINOSE. The maximum number of small dogs to be transferred in each bus is 3.
B. Accompanied pets:
i. Large accompanied pets are transported in a pet transport box of dimensions 118 x 76 x 88cm, in long distance trains, in the composition of which a luggage transport coach is incorporated. The owner of the dog may have access in the coach, provided by the train manager.These trains are:
- Athens-Thessaloniki-Athens route (trains IC50, IC52, IC54, IC56, IC58, IC51, IC53, IC55, IC57, IC59 600/601),
- Athens – Kalambaka – Athens route (trains 884-885)
ii. Pets are transported in specific routes mentioned below*, on condition that they are placed in a pet transport box of dimensions of 50 x 40 x 70cm, in the last coach of the train and only on condition that this does not disturb the other passengers
The maximum number of accompanied dogs is 2 per train
Accompanied animals of large / medium size are not accepted in TRAINOSE’s busses
C. Assistance dogs (trained or in training) for PRM:
Transport of large assistance dogs in the train’s compartments specially designated for this purpose by TRAINOSE, on condition that:
- the guide dog is transported without a muzzle, on a leash and must be seated next to their owner on the coaches’ floor
- the guide dogs are not placed in a pet transport box and their transport of the PRM and the dog is also possible in the special seats for PRM in certain trains
- guide dogs (trained or in training) have an access in the restaurant coaches of TRAINOSE’s trains
Assistance dogs (trained or in training as presented by the existing legislation)
The owner of the guide dog, or the trainer or the volunteer responsible of an assistance dog puppy must present when asked by the personnel of TRAINOSE the documents prescribed by the law, certifying the training level of the dog (if it is already trained or in training), the dog’s health and also that the owner or the trainer or the volunteer responsible of an assistance dog puppy is certified to have this dog.
If the owner or the trainer of the assistance dog is staying in Greece for a long period of time and is a EU citizen or a citizen of third country, the above mentioned documents must be either in English language officially translated in Greek language by the responsible Greek authorities abroad (Embassies etc).
The same provisions regarding the respect of the other passengers as well as the railway’s rolling stock apply for the guide dog owners, the trainers and the volunteers responsible of an assistance dog-puppy.
Transport of assistance dogs in training is possible in the coach’s compartments either in the seats designated by TRAINOSE or in any other seat or coach chosen by the owner, the trainer or the volunteer.
*The transport of pets or assistance dogs is possible on the following suburban routes as follows:
- Athens-Chalkida: In all trains
- Piraeus –International Airport «Elefterios Venizelos» – Kiato: In all trains
- Larisa-Thessaloniki: In the trains 1594, 2598, 3590, 1593, 1597, 2595, in a special designated coach of the train provided that there is enough capacity of the specific itinerary
- Palaiofarsalos-Kalambaka: In all trains, in a special designated coach of the train provided that there is enough capacity of the specific itinerary
- Thessaloniki-Kalambaka: In all trains, in a special designated coach of the train provided that there is enough capacity of the specific itinerary
- Suburban route of the city of Patras: In all trains
- Larisa- Volos: In all trains
- Thessaloniki-Platy-Florina: In trains 81 and 82
- Alexandroupoli – Ormenio: In trains 1682 and 1683
- Lianokladi – Stylida: In all trains
- Katakolo-Pyrgos-Olympia: In all trains
- Pelion train: Up to 2 pets is possible to be transferred, either with leash and muzzle (large dogs) or placed in a pet box(small animals). The animals are placed in a specific area of the train
- Rack Railway (Kalavryta-Diakopto): The transportation of large accompanied animals is not accepted
In case of missed connections to local trains passengers traveling with pets are transported with the next possible train.
- For the transport of small pets, under the above-mentioned terms, no fare is charged and no transport document is issued, unless a separate seat is required for the pet in the pet transport box. In this case, the charged fare is equal to the 50% of the full price of a 2nd class ticket for the route chosen by the owner
- For the transport of large dogs (over 10kg) the charged fare is equal to the 50% of the full price of a 2nd class ticket, for the route chosen by the owner, and a separate travel document is issued
- For guide dogs, trained or in training, no fare is charged
- On line ticket purchase is not possible
- Accompanied pet service is not possible from non operating train stations. Exception is made only if the ticket has already been issued from a station in operation
* Changes in scheduled services may occur. Therefore, please always contact the sales points or customer care number 14511 (charged when calling from Greece 0,646€/minute and 0,984€/minute when calling from a mobile phone, with an additional mobile phone tax of 12% -20%, depending on the monthly bill, excluding VAT, prior arranging your journey.
Attached Files: Sample of pets’ health booklet.