The historical railway station of Nafplio
Nafplion was one of the first Greek cities to be accessed by train. In 1882, it was Charilaos Trikoupis who suggested that the train pass from there. Two years later the implementation of the plan began. Areos square was picked for the construction of the railway station. Earlier, in the beginning of 18th century, this region was outside the city walls, flooded by the sea. Around 1720, the area was landscaped by the Turks and adorned with flower gardens and golden kiosks, becoming one of the finest locations of the old city.
The construction of the station complex was completed in 1885. The main two-storey building with the traditional carved canopy was compatible with the Neoclassic city atmosphere. In 1886 the railway station was in place and the Naflion train began its long-lasting journey. For many years, the station was the meeting point of residents and literally became the heart of the city. It was there that children gathered to play, it was from there that soldiers set out during the wars, it was there that newcomers arrived fueling the residents’ curiosity.
Up to 1963, the station remained fully operational, performing all railway services. For the next decade, it was used only for commercial purposes and in 1983 it was donated to the Municipality of Nafplion.
Nowadays the old railway station area operates as a park and recreation area, with gardens full of flowers, old locomotives, a theater and cafeteria. The main station building houses the Nafplion Municipal Conservatory “Constantinos Nonis” and an adjacent building houses the children’s workshops organized by the Peloponnesian Folklore Foundation.
Thanks to its long history, the old station is one of the elements that have shaped the character of the historic town and still contributes to Nafplion’s social, cultural and artistic life.